Saturday, December 10, 2011

Belated Pedro

If Sandy Koufax has the left arm of God, then Pedro Martinez has the right.”
Pedro Martinez, who at his peak was debatably one of the most preeminent pitcher in the game, has announced Saturday that his intentions are to make his retirement plan official. Pedro, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, is now 40. He had never officially left the game of baseball, leaving the door open on a potential return after his last Major League outing, which was in Game 6 of the 2009 World Series with the Phillies. According to the media, Martinez had made a statement saying: "I'm going to [officially announce it], I'm going to do it," Martinez said. "But I want to throw a party too. I want to make it part of every place that I'm going to be remembered and loved by the fans. I'm going to start by doing something in the Dominican, officially signing the papers, probably coming back to Boston and getting something going with you guys." Now not being a Boston Red Sox fan I can’t say I like Pedro Martinez as a baseball player, but I have to respect him. He has done much for the organazation over time and the retirement of him, whether a Red Sox fan or not, is a big deal. Pedro said he would have made this statement during the course of November, but unfortunately his wife had become sick. Personally I agree with Pedro’s decision. The man is now 40 years old and I believe he no longer has a part in the game of baseball. He has contributed many things to the game and its rivalries but I strongly believe Pedro is too old, and does not have the control and skill he once had.

Although the retirement isn’t official yet, I assure you ladies and gentlemen it will be very soon.

Keeping you up to date and on behalf of Baseball Talk 101

1 comment: